Serving Size: 4
- 1/2 cup ketchup or chili sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 lb. ground veal
- 1/2 lb. ground pork
- 2/3 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 each eggs
Preheat oven to 350°
Sauté the onion and garlic
- Heat oil in a medium skillet. Add onion and garlic, and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Set aside and let cool.
Make the glaze
- Mix chili sauce, brown sugar, and cider vinegar in a bowl; set aside.
Combine the ingredients and make a free form shaped meat loaf.
- Mix eggs with thyme, salt, pepper, mustard, Worcestershire, hot sauce, and milk.
- Add egg mixture to meat mixture in a large bowl, along with bread crumbs, parsley, and cooked onions; mix with fork until evenly blended and meat mixture doesn’t stick to the bowl.
- If it does stick add a couple more teaspoons of milk until mixture doesn’t stick.
Bake the meatloaf
- Cover a wire rack with foil; prick the foil in several places with a fork. Place rack on a foil lined shallow pan for easy clean up.
- Set loaf on rack. Brush with glaze.
- Bake loaf until it registers 160°, about 1 hour.
- For extra goodness – lay bacon over the top before baking.